Papua New Guinea

Papua New Guinea

The Anglican Mission to New Guinea can be traced to the General Synod of Australia and Tasmania in 1886. Follow the call for finance and personnel in 1887, SPG (now USPG) set aside £1,000 and opened a special fund to assist the Australian Church to plant a mission in New Guinea. The first priests arrived in 1891.

During World War II among those who lost their lives were Anglican priests, teachers, nurses and evangelists, remembered as PNG’s Martyrs annually on 2 September. 

The Anglican Church of Papua New Guinea became an autonomous province in 1976 and has five dioceses. The Acting Archbishop and Bishop of Aipo Rongo is the Rt Revd Nathan Ingen.

As well as providing education and health services, the Church is developing small faith communities to achieve greater self-reliance. An extensive training programme has been undertaken across the church. Anglicare, an agency of the Diocese of Port Moresby, is engaged in a major StopAIDS programme which is making a significant contribution to AIDS education.

USPG engages with the Anglican Church in Papua New Guinea including through the Papua New Guinea Church Partnership, which has related to the Church for more than 100 years.

You can watch the Anglican Church in Papua New Guinea's contribution to our 2021 Communion Day of Prayer below.